On 2019-07-25 13:01:28, Mike Larkin <mlar...@nested.page> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 09:54:22PM +0200, Paul de Weerd wrote:
> > A little more follow-up on this vmd-memory-leak issue.
> >
> > Comparing the two VMs I have running, I started to stress parts where
> > these two hosts differ.  The testvm hardly does any traffic, while the
> > undeadly vm sees quite a few visitors on a daily basis, so networking
> > may be part of the leak.
> >
> > Running tcpbench against this machine (averaging at ~250Mbit/s)
> > results in vmd growing by about 80MB to 100MB per minute.  Running
> > tcpbench against the testvm has similar results.
> >
> > The undeadly VM also has a second disk configured (on slower storage),
> > but putting load on that didn't significantly change the memory
> > consumption (above the 'expected' growth that I've been seeing).
> >
> > The growth during daily(8) runs still confuses me, as that doesn't do
> > anything network-related...
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I'll try to look for leaks in that area then. Thanks for the report.
>
> -ml

To Paul, is it related to disk activity on the VM?  I.e. Does
doing lots of I/O on the system cause memory usage to increase?
Can you test it with a snapshot/kernel dated May 7th or earlier?

I CCed both of you into a bug report I just submitted to bugs@
because I thought it may possibly be related.

        https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=156412299418191&w=2

In brief, I'm seeing large amounts of memory being consumed
followed by a system hang when files are copied to a vnd(4)
device.

I don't see it with regular disk I/O, only with vnds.

If the VMs are using/accessing memory in a similar way to the
method that vnd(4) does, it might explain why the daily(8) runs
are causing the memory usage to increase.

If this is an unrelated issue, then I apologize for the noise.  I
figured it better to CC both of you in so you could evaluate it on
your own rather than for me to do nothing.

--
Bryan