On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 23:50:06 -0700
Aaron Miller <aa...@iforgotmy.name> wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-06-12 at 17:46 -0400, George wrote:

> > > Didn't know that was possible, much better thanks :)

> > > And so I did ...

> I believe I can confirm this. See below.
>

> > > I am trying your preped boot.img so far going through install
> > > options
> > > most of which lead to:

> > > Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok
> > > Undefined video mode number: 314
> > > Press <ENTER> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to
> > > continue, or
> > > wait 30 sec
> > > Mode: Resolution:  Type:
> > > 0 F00   80x25      CGA/MDA/HGC
> > > Enter a video mode or "scan" to scan for additional modes:
> > >
> > > trying Install which I thought would be best (2-nd one after
> > > Graphical
> > > Install) hangs with:
> > >
> > > [    0.000000] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): A valid RSDP was not
> > > found
> > > (20160831/tbxfroot-244)
> > > [    0.806052] Initramfs unpacking failed: write error
> > > [    0.814403] [Firmware Bug]: cpu 0, invalid IBS interrupt
> > > offset 0
> > > (MSRC001103A=0x0000000000000000)
> > > [    1.852264] mce: Unable to init device /dev/mcelog (rc: -5)
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help and the page!
> >

> > I tried a few more times still no luck. What is the key
> > combination I
> > need to use to get into a shell to load the modules. Hitting Esc
> > puts me
> > into boot> program which does not understand module handling
> > etc.. and
> > the menu does not let me to run a shell. I am missing something
> > ...?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Hey George,
>
> I don't know if you resolved this, but I was able to get further
> than this loosely following Benjamin's instructions. I skipped the part about
> the virtio-modules which doesn't seem to be necessary now (and the link is
> 404 now anyway).
>
> I was able to go through the menu (starting with Install, and skipping the
> modprobe commands) but DHCP didn't work, and I'm not sure what's broken.
>
> To answer your question, you need to press Esc _after_ selecting Install.
> Maybe that's why you saw the "boot>" prompt.
>
> It worked for me and I just ran lsmod since I didn't have any modules to
> insert:
>
> ~ # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> virtio_blk             20480  0
> virtio_net             32768  0
> virtio_pci             24576  0
> virtio_ring            24576  3 virtio_blk,virtio_net,virtio_pci
> virtio                 16384  3 virtio_blk,virtio_net,virtio_pci
>
> I hope this helps, and please let me know if you or anyone else
> has an idea of why DHCP isn't working in the guest VM.

With the virtio modules now included in the installer you can skip my
tutorial. You only need to change bootparameters in GRUB to pass
vga=off console=ttyS0,115200n8 to the linux kernel.

As for DHCP, it depends on your config: is pf blocking DHCP traffic?
is the bridge/switch interface set up correctly?
is sysctl net.inet.ip.{m,}forwarding set to 1?
do you use vmctl -L (local interface)?