On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 05:55:59PM -0500, Hakan E. Duran wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Having been a linux user for quite a while, I am used to doing a fresh
> install every few years, following a few upgrades. I usually set a separate
> partition for the /home directory to be able to inherit my settings to the
> fresh installation. This is the first time I did an upgrade in OpenBSD from
> 6.7 to 6.8, which actually went flawless, but being a skeptical linux user, I
> am wondering how I can do a fresh install if need be, by preserving my user
> directory. I chose the auto-partitioning during the installation of OpenBSD
> 6.7 but I don't know if that would be possible in a scenario like this, since
> I am not sure if the installation algorithm would recognize the /home
> directory or not. Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Hakan

You can do a fresh install and preserve existing partitions with great
care and NOT using auto partition. Just don't add /home to the
partitions to be created and make absolutely sure that the area on the
disklabel doesn't include the space allocated for /home.
But only if this fresh install is after having done a fresh install
previously. Use Custom for the disklabel step, which will reflect the
already existing disklabel, except without the mount points. You will
need to delete the /home partition, finish the install, then use
disklabel to add the home partition, fsck -fp it, and mount it manually.
If OK, add to fstab if desired.

Be sure to backup the /home partition before doing this.
Since this is a bit complicated, practice this many times, read the
manual pages very well. Buy a USB drive to practice this on.
Be sure to do something wrong. Understanding this will really help you
if you somehow have a disaster, like a sudden power failure that messes
up a critical partition hopelessly.

This is not Linux. The rules are totally different. If you ask yourself
what you would do in Linux, you have failed in this task.

Auto-partition is really helpful for someone new to OpenBSD.
But I rarely partition across only a single disk and always partition
some special partitions like /var/postgresql, /home/vip-user, /var/www,
etc. /usr/src, /usr/obj are not needed by every user now that we have
syspatch.

Have fun,
Chris Bennett