On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 09:19:26PM -0600, Raymond, David wrote:
> Questions about lpr printing:
>
> I tried putting a filter that drives an HP Deskjet printer (works with
> lprng on linux) as an output filter in printcap and it didn't work.

LPRng was removed a good while back.
What software besides the base lpr system are you using?
What commands are you using exactly?
Does it speak Postscript? That can be really helpful as a lot of
software speaks Postscript. I stopped getting printers that didn't speak
it.

apsfilter is pretty helpful for getting things working. You might give
it a try. Some of it's filters were astoundingly slow. But it helps fill
out printcap.

I haven't used lpr for a few years because my printer is in Mexico and
I'm in Washington state.

> Would it be more proper to put it as an input filter?  I am still on
> version 6.7 of the OS.  (I saw a recent post indicating that changes
> were made to the lpr system in 6.8.)

Someone else will probably be able to explain those changes.
Moving to 6.8 might be well worth it.

> One of the problems was that I couldn't get rid of the banner page
> even though the appropriate flags were set.
>
> I have looked for lpr documentation more informative than the
> lpr/lpd/printcap man pages, but I haven't found anything.  The
> printcap page describes some really archaic filters, but not much that
> is helpful in today's world.

I haven't looked at the code recently, but I think I know what filters
you are refering to. Super archaic.

> I am currently using cups but would like to get rid of it, because if
> their set of filters doesn't do the job, you are stuck.  (Plus other
> hair-pulling frustrations.)

Can't agree more!

--
Regards,