On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 11:22:58AM +0800, Tito Mari Francis Escaño wrote:
> Hi misc,
> I recently installed 6.8 on VM then applied errata patches.
> When I tried to install git, it complained that git is not in the
> packages-stable folder, I was pleasantly surprised. The
> /etc/installurl by default is http://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD, and
> I got error 503 on the site. Checking the default URL indicates it may
> be down, same goes for Cloudflare CDN, Verizon seems working alright.
> When I changed /etc/installurl to where I used to get packages:
> http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/OpenBSD, it worked as expected.
> This raised the following questions:
> Does this mean when we apply errata patches, we're now automatically
> using stable release and need to use stable packages?
> Is it advisable to keep the /etc/installurl automatically default to
> http://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD or should users be advised to
> select packages from package sources geographically near them?
> Please advise. Thanks and keep up the great work.

There are two packages that might help.
dbip-city-lite
dbip-country-lite

If you find a good mirror, you can hard code the PKG_PATH
export PKG_PATH=...
it can use multiple servers separated by :
Be sure to change it to 6.9 later!

That's what I do when I have cdn problems.
Avoid the OpenBSD source, if possible.
Please use https. Some ISP's insert crap into http.
Certs are free, why doesn't a trusted source not have one?

IMHO, you really should run stable. Although you might look at the
patches and decide not to. packages-stable may or may not have security
fixes you need. syspatch often, but not always, needs a reboot.

But it's your system, do as you please. A security patch might not be
relevant to you.

Chris Bennett