On Mon, Sep 06, 2021 at 12:44:59AM +0000, iio7 wrote:
> > > Why isn't it removed? It is kinda "misguiding".
> >
> > Shucks, you must feel terrible about our decision.
>
> Well, compared to the fact that you, back in 2016, wrote that,
> "We don't spend hours of our time adding unimportant notes to that file.",
> concerning updating the FAQ about this, maybe
> instead of giving these useless comments, that you apparently
> have got plenty of time to do, you should actually provide some
> kind of useful information somewhere!

Wow. I guess a 2500 page FAQ would be much better.

But, I do believe I have found an important issue to add to the porting
section of the FAQ.
Although it covers submitting a single port, it does not cover how to
deal with submitting a larger project with 20+ submissions.

I learned the hard way that the methods I was using to submit ports for
a larger project just didn't work for getting these looked at and getting
the two OK's needed for new ports. Oops.

However, bit by bit, I was kindly informed on how to do that correctly.
I intend to work out a diff to add that to the porting section of the
FAQ. Perhaps it will be accepted, but at least it will bring the topic
into a single, searchable thread.

For the moment, due to financial reasons, I cannot continue that
project. Hopefully, others will at least find some value from my
experience with that project. I would like to see others motivated to
doing medium sized projects with less confusion. Reviewers too.

As far as to leaving certain unmaintained src and broken ports in the
tree, I have no problem with that. Many broken ports eventually get
fixed. We all benefit from that.

Chris Bennett