El mié, 23 mar 2022 a las 15:12, Zé Loff (<zel...@zeloff.org>) escribió:

> Hi all
>
> I have a laptop in which I use ifstated to determine whether it is "at
> home" or whether it is "roaming", and bring up the VPN -- used to be
> iked, now its wg -- for unwind and some NFS shares, if it is.
>
> My question is: how would you detect if the machine it's "at home"?
>
> My present setup is a combination of checking the BSSID of the AP if it
> is connected to one, and some MAC addresses of other machines on the
> network.  I can think of a couple other ways (SSH host keys, external IP
> -- though it might change --, DHCP-assigned domain, etc).  Is there an
> easier way I'm not thinking of?  How would you do it?

The DHCP solution (i.e. option 15) seems to be a sane way of solving
your problem from the client side. To solve the situation the other
way around (getting to know from which AP your client is connecting at
the DHCP server) I would get some APs that cope with option 82. Then
you would know from where you are connecting, on both sides of the
wire.

> Note that this doesn't have 100% fail proof nor am I worried about
> covering absolutely all corner cases, or paranoid about someone spoofing
> my network's BSSID, MAC addresses, etc, etc, just to prevent me from
> setting up a VPN.  This is just for convenience.
>
> Cheers and TIA
> Zé
>
> --

Regards!