On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 08:13:46AM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Either use -d, or set CVSROOT, or replace CVS/Root files with ones
> containing the path to the repo (cvschroot from the cvsutils package
> makes this easy). If your original checkout had been done via anoncvs
> you wouldn't have needed to do this. (Also ports.tar.gz misses some
> files - run "cvs up -Pd" across the whole tree to fetch them).

I already use a script to do cvs for ports.
Right now, it downloads a copy of ports.tar.gz for "just in case cvs
checkout fails".

Which method would be preferable for the other end (the cvs server)?

ports.tar.gz then cvs up
or
cvs checkout

Either method is fine for me, but which method would be preferable?
I don't get ports.tar.gz from the same server as cvs.

Does a checkout put less load on the cvs server than running a
comparison with cvs up? Or is the increased data with checkout more
important to eliminate?

--
Thanks,
Chris Bennett