On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 09:36:10AM +0000, Johannes Thyssen Tishman wrote:

> When I reply to an email I do so above the senders message, however I see
> many people in the mailing lists replying below it. Is this the preferred way
> or just preference? Thanks.

The traditional style is to quote only the parts of the previous message(s)
that you are writing in respose to.

If you are commenting on several parts of a previous exchange, the convention
would be to offer your own input in several blocks, directly following the
parts you are responding to.

For whatever reason, Microsoft's Outlook or possibly earlier Microsoft mail
client products dragged in a convention of quoting the whole thread (even though
those early clients did not in fact have the thread concept) and putting new
text on top.

I think this would point to my preference at least. Cue my 2011 rant about
same, enjoy:
https://bsdly.blogspot.com/2011/02/problem-isnt-email-its-microsoft.html

All the best,
Peter