Hi Lewis,

Possibly due to insufficient caffeine at this end I am not entirely
sure I fully grasp the content and context here, but I would recommend reading,
in somewhat random order,

1. man pf.conf (https://man.openbsd.org/pf.conf) (you may want to search there
for urpf)

2. the PF user guide (https://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html)

3. the slides from our latest "Network Management with the OpenBSD PF toolset"
tutorial (https://home.nuug.no/~peter/pftutorial/#1)

4. the slides from the pre-revision PF tutorial
(https://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/newest/)

5. various books and articles referenced in the previous, and perhaps as a
reasonable starting point, The Book of PF (https://nostarch.com/pf3)

I'm fairly confident you can get a working and quite comfortably maintainable
setup
going with the help of these resources.

- Peter

https://bsdly.blogspot.com/ https://www.bsdly.net/ https://www.nuug.no/