On 4/13/23 16:08, Greg Thomas wrote:
Thank you!  I gave it one more shot before attempting the script and I'm
back in.  I figured I'd try 0 for the beginning of the partition.

grits# disklabel sd1
# /dev/rsd1c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: Ext SSD
duid: 2eeb6058175bf1f7
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 20
tracks/cylinder: 22
sectors/cylinder: 440
cylinders: 2131143
total sectors: 937703088
boundstart: 0
boundend: 937703088

16 partitions:
#                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize   cpg]
   a:        937703040                0  4.2BSD   4096 32768     1
   c:        937703088                0  unused

OUCH.  Don't do this!

I'm not sure why your disklabel got overwritten *in your case*, but there
is stuff that's supposed to be at sector zero, and a disklabel is NOT IT.
Something someday will clobber it.  And it did.

Please, back your data up, put either a UEFI or MBR partition table on it,
and then use the rest of the disk for your backup.  With modern disk
sizes, the amount of space you "save" isn't worth the first time this
happens to you.

Nick.
(who went back to look at your dmesg to make sure it wasn't a sparc64 :)