On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 04:08:49PM +0200, Karel Lucas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Multi-boot is not an option here. The intention is to replace the entire
> PfSense installation with openBSD. Eventually this computer becomes a
> firewall with PF, so the current installation is unnecessary. But my
> question remains whether I need the (U)EFI partition for that or not. Can
> anyone give me some helpful advice?

Also, give some serious thought about the partition sizes AND order that
you create them.

The order matters if you ever suspect that you will need to make a
partition bigger. Read the growfs man page. You can only make a
partition bigger by sacrificing the immediate partition after it.

So if you have /home then /usr/local and you need /home bigger. Bad
ordering of the partitions.
But if you have /home followed by /usr/kittens and you can get rid of having
/usr/kittens as a partition (but back it up!) and just add it to the /usr
directory afterwards

Also, don't create "useless" partitions. If you will never use /usr/src
as a separate partition, don't put it in it's own partition. Developers
or people wanting to play around with source code like having it.
Please read the entire FAQ page.

growfs can only make a partition bigger ( and you keep existing files as
a bonus ). There isn't a tool to make them smaller and keep data on it.

Also, the partitions that are normally created has a big effect on
security.
nodev, nosuid, wxallowed are important.

Most important is to not get freaked out. Just do it and see what
happens. Screwing up is half the fun! Cleaning up isn't fun, but a good
way to learn. ;-}

--
Chris Bennett