On 2024/03/24 20:12, Sadeep Madurange wrote:
> On 2024-03-24 10:51:51, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, the esptool in the packages is for programming ESPs
> > > using the Arduino platform. My existing projects for these chips are
> > > written in plain C with their native toolchain. Also, I prefer to
> > > continue using C if possible.
> >
> > There are some versions in arduino-related packages, but I was
> > thinking of the normal one:
> >
> > $ pkglocate bin/esptool
> > py3-esptool-4.6.2:devel/py-esptool,python3:/usr/local/bin/esptool.py
>
> esptool is for flashing programs to ESPs. To build them we need the
> ESP-IDF, which bootstraps the compiler toolchain, freeRTOS, network
> stack, etc., So, the esptool.py alone isn't enough.
>
> A version of the toolchain is also in the ports tree, but it's more for
> Arduino environment. The version is too old to compile the SDK version I
> need. I'm trying to build ESP-IDF on OpenBSD, but I haven't managed to
> get it working yet.

But you already have the build toolchain running in the VM, right?
IIUC the part you are having trouble with running in the VM is esptool,
not the build toolchain.

So, build in the VM, flash from esptool in the host OS.

With a bit of NFS or sshfs or something to share the files, and running
esptool over ssh (maybe write a dummy esptool script in the guest to ssh
and run from the host) it could be pretty well integrated.