On 2024-04-09, Ben Jahmine <tocb...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear all.
>
> I just did my unattended upgrade to 7.5. I previously checked the
> available disk space in /usr, as suggested by the upgrade guide. My /usr
> size is 2 GB, as created by the installer. As this is above 1.1 GB I
> started the unattended upgrade using sysupgrade.
>
> The upgrade failed during the extraction of the sets, but managed to
> boot into 7.5. Now /usr ist at 105% capacity due to df.
>
> I assume, this is not supposed to happen? Is this a issue specific to my
> setup? Or should /usr simply have more space?

Nothing in sysupgrade or the installer checks to make sure that enough
space is available and it can fail quite nastily if you run out of
space.

> Looking forward for some help.

That size estimate in the upgrade guide hasn't been updated since
OpenBSD 6.6 and is rather optimistic. After extracting a new install
(assuming that you have a drive large enough that auto defaults
created separate /usr and /usr/X11R6 partitions) you'll have ~1GB
of files, so an upgrade from an older version with a drive with
1.1GB total is very likely to fail.

2GB for /usr is a bit tight anyway really - newer versions of the
installer auto defaults have taken the other extreme and made it a bit
larger than I'd usually want - though as of 7.5 it should be enough as
long as old files are cleared out.

Some options:

- backup, reinstall with adjusted partition sizes, and restore

- if there's an empty or unwanted partition immediately after /usr on
disk (check disklabel) you could backup, boot an install kernel, drop
to the shell, remove the extra partition, adjust size of /usr to take on
the extra space, and growfs (hopefully you won't need to restore, but it
is best to take precautions)

- you could remove old unneeded files from /usr; the sysclean package
can help identify these - in particular you're likely to find some old
libraries in /usr/lib that are no longer needed and they'll likely be
taking up a reasonable amount of space - sysclean will only list
libraries if no package depends on them. options include rm or
moving them to another filesystem.

if you've gone through a few updates, the list will probably be quite
long - you'll probably want to redirect to a file and view in an editor.