I eventually found out what was going on.

The FreeBSD boot problem was not related at all.

Long story short and for future reference, installboot needs
to be run on the softraid volume, NOT on the physical disk. And this
has to be repeated after a softraid volume rebuild in order for the new
disk to be bootable too.

This cannot be done from the boot media, but one can boot from media
and then mount the softraid with the working disk and then chroot into
that and run 'installboot sd2' (or whatever device name the softraid
volume has).

This was not obvious to me. Perhaps because with GRUB one has to install
the bootloader and boot code on each single disk in a mdadm volume and
not on the volume itself.