On Sat, May 04, 2024 at 05:56:10PM +1000, Brett Mahar wrote:
> Hi misc,
>
> I am getting a Pinebook Pro soon and just wondering how many hours the
> battery tends to last from a full charge with OpenBSD?

I ran openbsd on my PBP for a while. To answer your question: a lot less than
Linux. The lack of hardware accelerated video
*anything* on the PBP (unless this has changed in the last couple of releases)
will murder your battery life and make
videos rather stuttery.

This may be at least partially resolved since I last used it (I don't know if
mali drivers would be pulled in during
a resync of DRM,) but another thing to be aware of with installing OpenBSD is
that (again, unless I'm out of date) there's no
tty driver. This means you'll have to do the installation with a 3.5mm to
serial adapter. The Pine store sells defective ones,
but you can take your chances if you like. You can also repair them if you
like. From the factory they're specced to put 5v on
the PBP which is expecting 3.3v. It probably won't fry your laptop, but it
might. I think it's just swapping one resistor in
the cable. Just a heads up.

I'd be curious if the experience is much better these days, but given how
garbage even support for Linux is when Pine nominally
"supports" linux on their products, I'm not holding out too much hope.

Best of luck,
Danny