"Nick Guenther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Anyway, I wasn't trying to fight about it, I'm just curious.

"sed -n l" has been around since "forever" or at least since v7.
Presumably before that folks used "ed" or "od".

cat -v -e etc. have been around in *bsd since at least 4.1bsd.
I don't remember AT&T picking up on those options, but
probably -v, -e, etc., are part of various standards today.
Certainly the FSF folks picked up on those flags in their
"GNU core utilities".

The "vis" command appears to have been added in 4.4bsd.
I can't find any evidence of "vis" outside of 4.4bsd.

Most people who've been around Unix long enough have their own pet
commands.  For instance, I have "randomize", "fd", and "genpass".  I
use randomize all the time to unsort data line by line differently each
time, fd in place of "od -xc" to get side-by-side hex & ascii dump
output, and more rarely genpass to generate random passwords for
things.  There's very probably some population of other people out
there who might find those very commands useful, - but it's also very
probable there's not a large enough population of such users that I
could find them without annoying a bunch of other people in the
process.

                                -Marcus Watts