Josh Grosse writes:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 02:28:50PM -0600, Greg Oster wrote:
> > Josh Grosse writes:
> > > Has anyone using Root on RAID managed to point their dumpdev at a swap sp
> ace,
> > > either within a RAID array or on a standard swap partition?
> >
> > Dumping to a standard swap partition on a RAID set is not supported.
>
> Could you clarify what you mean?

As in, the raiddump() function returns ENXIO, and has a comment
saying "Not implemented.".  In other words, ENOWORKIE :)

> I have a raid1b partition markes as
> swap, and a wd0b partition marked as swap, and I have not figured out how
> to get a dump device assigned, so far, unless I use "swap on wd0b" -- which
> is unmirrored.  I have no problem with having an unprotected dump area, but
> I am concerned about using the partition as swap space.

Right... If you're going to all the trouble of having a system on
RAID, you really want swap on RAID too... but not dump...

>     <snip>
>
> > > I have tried modifying the config line.  If I use:
> > >
> > > config            bsd     root on wd0a swap on wd0b
> > >
> > > then I do get an unmirrored partition as my swap_device, and it is also a
> > > dump device.
> >
> > Does the config syntax support "dumps on wd0b"?  Dunno if you can use
> > something like:
> >
> >  config bsd root on wd0a swap on wd0b dumps on wd0b
> >
> > but that might be sufficient...
>
> Since "root on wd0a swap on wd0b" assigns the dump device, isn't "dumps
> on wd0b" redundant?  Or have I misunderstood you?  Do you think an explicit
> assignment would change this behavior

I'm not sure if OpenBSD even supports that syntax...  (The OS which
with I'm most familiar does support that syntax, and it allows you to
have swap and dump space in different places, if that's what you want/
need...  And yes, the explicit assignment, if you can do it, would
change it... )

> > > But ... adding /dev/raid1b doesn't work -- adding this device
> > > to /etc/fstab seems to be ignored, and "swapctl -a /dev/raid1b" fails wit
> > > "file not found."  raid1b is an unacceptable keyword for kernel config.
> >
> > Dunno about any of this....  I'd have suggested using
> > 'swapctl -D /dev/wd0b', but I don't believe that'd work for you...
>
> There is no -D in current.  Is there an uncommitted swapctl.c in development?

Dunno... swapctl in NetBSD has it, which is why I was going to
suggest it, but it seems that swapctl in OpenBSD doesn't have it...

> > > Anyone with a successful swap/dump setup who might be able to point me to
> > > what I'm missing?
> >
> > You should be able to do it, but not to swap on a RAID set...
>
> I can swap on a RAID set just fine, but only if I leave the config line in
> GENERIC untouched.  But if I do that, I have no dump device.  I seem to be
> able to swap and dump to non-raid thru altering the config line, as I
> described.  But if I do that, I cannot then add a RAID set to the swap list.

Yuck... :-/  I'll have to defer to others more familiar with OpenBSD
to comment on how to get around that little problem.... But I do know
that dumping to a RAID device will not work at all.

Later...

Greg Oster