On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 08:01:11PM +0200, viq wrote:
> I was trying to google for some solution, but didn't come up with
> anything useful. I am looking for a way to securely store files. Like,
> say, your mail archive. Or home folder. I know, "use vnd" seems to be
> the main choice on OpenBSD. But, I want to be able to access those
> files from other systems too. Did anyone find a solution that would be
> practical to use? A filesystem solutions would be preferable, either
> encrypting a 'real' filesystem, or having a 'virtual' one in a file -
> but as I said, I'm looking for a solution that would let me mount it
> in several operating systems.

vnd(4) works well, as you note, but is indeed not very portable.

You don't say what 'several' means, but I believe you could mount a
filesystem on a vnd under Linux after you have called losetup with a
suitable offset (i.e., bypassed the disklabel).

cfs might be portable - though it is not very secure.

Finally, tar and gpg offer a solution... as long as you are careful when
untarring.

                Joachim