Gordon Willem Klok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Part of this is nonsense and I dont mean to pick on you in particular
> but I have seen it repeated a few times now and its getting annoying.
>
> If licenses were as viral as some of you people imagine that one cannot
> look at a source file copyrighted with a dumb license interpert what the
> code does and create your own version parts of the LINUX KERNEL WOULD BE
>  SUBJECT TO THE APSL and imagine the CDDL as well but I dont mess around
> with sun hardware... Seriously you can go look at some of their recent
> mac powerpc drivers and you can see plenty of references to where bits
> of information were taken from darwin, they have done nothing wrong.

You got me.  I'm not a lawyer.  But before you assume you're in the
free & clear, you might want to look at these:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000101----000-.html
        text of us statue defining derivative work.
http://www.ivanhoffman.com/fairusemusic.html
        fair use - "music sampling"
http://www.ivanhoffman.com/helpful.html
        pointers to more interesting copyright cases.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_v._Acuff-Rose_Music,_Inc.
        parody - fair use?
        4 grounds: purpose, nature, substantiality, effect on market
        case by case - no general rule.
http://www.chillingeffects.org/derivative/
        derivative works.
        "all or parts".
        4 part rule again.
http://www.chillingeffects.org/derivative/faq.cgi
        note last case - "same expression".
        also note in many cases, words like "probably not", "that
        depends", etc.  That means you're in a grey zone,
        which means you could be right, and you could
        still end up in court.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_leading_legal_cases_in_copyright_law
        lots and lots of case law.
        some of them are even relevant, some is not.
http://www.low-life.fsnet.co.uk/copyright/
        copyright and sampling.  UK.
http://dvinfo.net/articles/business/copyrightfaq4.php
        lots of stuff.  Note question 30:
        "new recording based on parts of other songs"
        "usually not legal".
        "may fall into the category of derivative work".

This isn't a black & white thing.  There's a lot of grey here, with
room for lots of expensive legal maneuvering, and you can definitely
find case law on both sides of the coin.  The biggest saving grace I
can see here is since the GPL folks aren't in fact a for-profit
concern, they can't really claim much in the way of monetary damages in
their market.  That *might* save you on ground #4.

One of the things I learned in constructing the above list is a lot has
happened with music sampling and copyright law in the past decade, and
questions that were formerly in the grey area might not be anymore.
All of this stuff is evolving rapidly.

When I've talked to lawyers in the past, they've been very clear
there's "probably safe" and "nearly certainly safe" - and there's a
choice you make.  They'll cheerfully tell you what's nearly certainly
safe, and urge you to take that, and it will very likely seem quite
unreasonable - especially after they say even that's not absolutely
safe.  Part of the judgement call you get to make very often is
what will the other guy actually decide to do, and why.

One of the many reasons I went into software development instead
of lawyering is that computers are a lot more straight-forward.

                                -Marcus Watts