"openbsd neophyte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Date:    Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:12:53 PDT
> To:      misc@openbsd.org
> From:    "openbsd neophyte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: 4.0 sparc64 booting problems
>
> i have an ultra 5 (440mhz/512mb/14.4GB IDE) with OpenBSD 4.0 installed.  i
> never really had any problems with the machine for some months until earlier
> today.
>
> i couldn't access the machine so i connected through the serial port to find
> the machine stuck on the "ok" prompt.
>
> when i tried forcing a boot (boot disk) this is what I got:
>
> -------
> Boot device: /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],1/[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0  File and args: -r
> OpenBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock 1.1
> ..Program terminated
> -------
>
> when i tried a "reset" on the "ok" prompt i got the following:
>
> ----
> Resetting ...
>
> Data Access Error
> ----
>
> i really don't know where to begin.  what could have gone wrong with the
> system?  is this something that indicates a hardware issue, or has something
> happened to the 4.0 installation?

You should power-cycle the machine.  The prom environment is
probably too corrupt to properly reset.  If that doesn't work,
consider doing these next:
/1/ boot from removable media (after a power-on reset)
/2/ check the cmos battery.  renew if necessary.
/3/ check other cables, memory modules, etc.
        try prom memory test.  You may have a
        hardware problem.

                                -Marcus