On 2007/08/23 10:26, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > ISPs tend to run at much higher utilization levels than enterprises and
> > congestion is a reality on at least some of their pipes.
>
> i know the ISP market very well, and I have yet to see that. at least
> in europe, basically everybody has spare capacity like beer on
> weekends.

on transit/peering/backbone, sure, but it's different on the access
side - in .uk, backhaul to ADSL wholesalers is usually run seriously hot
for at least some hours every day and I'd be surprised if this is unusual
in other places. I guess that in some parts of the world backbones
normally run quite hot too.

David Newman [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Also, I noticed today that Google marks all their stuff with a DSCP of
>> 0x38 (high throughput, low delay). Nice trick, but also an excellent
>> argument for re-marking capability in all routers.

can't say I experience this from my local google instance, though
the packets have traversed a couple of AS before I see them so this
may have been adjusted by someone else.