On 21/10/2007, Matthieu Herrb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/21/07, Firas Kraiem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Nicolas Letellier wrote:
> > > Firas Kraiem a icrit :

> > > Are you sure about what you are saying ?
> > > I have already a laptop with this NIC and I have this problem;
> > >
> > > It means that there is a bug with gigabit realtek 8169 ?
> > >
> > > Nicolas
> > >

> > That's what I saw on mine, anyway. Try to boot it without using using
> > the NIC (i.e. delete /etc/hostname.re0) and see if the freezes stop.
> >
> > Firas
> >

> I see the re(4) hanging my machine problem too.
>
> One more data point:  cnst@ found out that having lots of multicast
> traffic on you local net (Mac OS X machines, IPv6,...) greatly
> increases the probability of such hangs happening.

Actually, that's what you told me. :) I simply noticed that the
machine reliably freezes every time I power up my iBook with OS X.

kernel/5504: re(4) on ASUS V3-P5G965 Core 2 Duo ...
http://cvs.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-wrapper?full=yes&numbers=5504

FWIW, I've also noticed that sftp'ing the machine from a Windows box
on the same local network can reliably freeze it, too. (Although
non-sftp ssh sessions never caused the machine to freeze.)

One other interesting point is that it appears that only one processor
would freeze (e.g. sometimes it is still possible to login from the
console and do a few things until the box is totally frozen).

FreeBSD 7.0 re(4) does not appear to be affected by this bug (insofar
as the machine doesn't freeze).

Cheers,
Constantine.