2007/12/11 Uwe Dippel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:20:00 -0800, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
> I don't see a need to reconcile the two sides. (It would be good if that
> was possible, though.)
Unfortunately, BSD and GNU come from different perspective, hence
different philosophy of what free and open source software
could/would/should be.

In my opinion (and I welcome correction on this one), BSD historically
came from the perspective of academically improving a proprietary AT&T
software while moving away from the original proprietary code and
fully disclose the improved code while still providing for the
proprietary software to incorporate those academic improvements with
further option to keep their proprietary enhancement to themselves.
This option for incorporating and optionally withholding those
improvements is what many cite as BSD's more liberal licensing
feature.

GNU and GPL, on the other hand, comes from the struggle against
proprietary software entities and ward off interest of incorporating
free and open source code into the fold of closed-source proprietary
software thus ensuring the availability of the source code for
enhancement and oblige the availability of those improvements to all.
This obligation on the part of those improving the source code is
criticized as restrictive, but it guarantees full source code
improvement/change disclosure.

--
Tito Mari Francis H. Escaqo
Computer Engineer and Free Software Proponent