Quoting Richard Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I am writing script, that would ssh to switch and dump configuration in file.

FYI, there may be a more effective way than writing your own script. Check out RANCID. It will manage just about any device from just about any vendor and manage the configs and changes through CVS. This of coarse gives you a nice revision history when things go wrong.

1) Since it is switch, i have no way to make use of public key
authentication, because I have no way to store pubkey on switch.

You may want to check with your vendor, many switches/routers can be logged into with a public key now.

2) Since I'm using dedicated box for backups, I don't need to hide
password from ps.

What is the cleanest way to pass password to ssh?

RANCID uses expect scripts to do the logins.

--
Tim Donahue