On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Jacob Yocom-Piatt wrote:
maybe if people actually READ THE ARCHIVES, they'd be better informed. i wish this mailing list had

I didn't want to rehash it all again.  Everyone knows the issues.

However, with respect to the right to disagree, if Marco's and Darrin's belief that if remote-network-postinstall configuration is the standing reason, then I consider myself in disagreement.

Also, I think there is a false premise to the argument by Marco and Jacob that disabling remote root login by default does not provide real security, only a false illusion.

That sounds like a slippery slope. We all know that security is a process.

There is a security risk / attack vector here, however remote, without password quality and failed-login tarpid/delay mechanisms, a remote root password is subject to brute force.

Plus, hypothetically, how strong is a temporary root password going to be? Its not going to be the one that you use in production, so likely you're going to recycle the same one after every install.

- Yes qualified administrators filter sshd(8) w/ pf(4)
- Yes qualified administrators choose strong passwords
- Yes qualified administrators disable PermitRootLogin afterboot
- Yes qualified administrators always use sudo(8) and never use
  root shells

I propose, as a compromise, wrapping PermitRootLogin around a Match statement, limited to the default local subnet gleaned during the install network config (no "LocalSubnets" macro exists in sshd_config(5), afaik, but that would be best)

Its just the right thing to do; and we should be leading by example.

Either way, its a healthy discussion worth having.

~~BAS

PermitStupidEmails No

as the default.

i really fail to see how this setting does anything other than make mgmt types worry because they don't really understand security.