Nick Holland wrote:
As I recall, these Aptiva machines were quirky as heck, on a
LOT of OSs.
Ah yes... Aptiva isn't the only brand like this. I've encountered a few of them from time to time, and the experience usually varies. Heck I've seen machines that fail to run their shipped copy of MS Windows properly (I mean even to the limited extent that Windows is supposed to run anyway).

In fact, I have one such box right here at home. It has a Windows XP sticker on the front, but WinXP from either the recovery discs or a non-OEM-infested disc fails epically, and most Linux distros can't even run X.Org on it (at least not automagically, I never bothered trying to see if I can manually fix it in xorg.conf). Right now it runs OpenBSD 4.4 headless, its only current purpose is a permanent IRC session (ssh+screen+irssi: wonderful!), though I've tried it out, and OpenBSD's Xenocara runs perfectly without any manual xorg.conf configuration, and all the other hardware works perfectly; beats all the Linux distros. :)