Marco Pfatschbacher wrote:
Hi,

I actually didn't read your entire mail..
but:

Having 192.168.0.9 on both the physical and the carp interface
cannot really work.
Thanks for trying! Unfortunately, I tried that as well (and double checked it again after your reply) where the carp IP is not assigned anywhere else. Still the problem remains: the backup (secondary server) insists on being the master, and it is given priority when the firewall sends web traffic to the 192.168.0.9 address.

Unfortunately, the ifconfig output with both machines reading "MASTER" remains 100% identical to those in my original message, so I've ruled out that it's somehow a problem with the addresses being aliases. I still have to mv the /etc/hostname.carp0 file to anything else and reboot for web traffic to flow to the primary server. Grr.

--

-RSM

http://www.erratic.ca