2010/1/2 Vijay Sankar <vsan...@foretell.ca>:
> Cortex wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody.
>>
>> I've been searching a lot about the BCM4312 support under OpenBSD, but
>> sadly, I haven't found any information. The bwi driver is supposed to
>> work with bcm43xx devices, but looking at dmesg output I see that the
>> kernel identifies wich device I'm using but doesn't load the driver.
>> This is the output of lspci (Linux):
>>
>> 02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
>> 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
>>
>> In the changelog of the 4.1 version says that BCM4312 was supported by
>> the bcw driver, but due to GPL violations it was removed from the main
>> tree.
>>
>> Since I'm new using OpenBSD I would like a hand here, guys.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> I am probably wasting your time since I do not know much about this.
> Apologize in advance if that is the case.
>
> In /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/if_bwi_pci.c I see the following:
>
> int
> bwi_pci_match(struct device *parent, void *match, void *aux)
> {
>        struct pci_attach_args *pa = aux;
>
>        /*
>         * The second revision of the BCM4311/BCM4312
>         * chips require v4 firmware.
>         */
>        if (PCI_VENDOR(pa->pa_id) == PCI_VENDOR_BROADCOM &&
>            (PCI_PRODUCT(pa->pa_id) == PCI_PRODUCT_BROADCOM_BCM4311 ||
>             PCI_PRODUCT(pa->pa_id) == PCI_PRODUCT_BROADCOM_BCM4312) &&
>             PCI_REVISION(pa->pa_class) == 0x02)
>                return (0);
>
>        return (pci_matchbyid((struct pci_attach_args *)aux,
bwi_pci_devices,
>            sizeof(bwi_pci_devices) / sizeof(bwi_pci_devices[0])));
> }
>
> I wonder what would happen if you removed some of this. If you don't get a
> response from the knowledgeable people in the list it may be worth a try.
>
> Vijay
>
> --
> Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.
> ForeTell Technologies Limited
> 59 Flamingo Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3J 0X6
> Phone: (204) 885-9535, E-Mail: vsan...@foretell.ca

Vijay, thanks a lot for your answer. Of course you're not wasting my time!

The thing is that I've been using OpenBSD only on a virtual machine,
while I get ready to install it on my laptop. I was just making sure
that everything works fine.

The revision I'm using is the number 1. Maybe the driver works, I just
used a USB to run the installation program and check if the network
interface was detected, but it didn't; that's the reason why I say the
driver probably doesn't work. I also have a wireless usb device
(D-Link DWA-110) and when I plug it in it loads the appropriated
driver and creates the interface (rum0). I was expecting the same
happen with my Broadcom.

Should I do something else to get my BCM4312 working?

Juan Esteban.