Hi,

The Question first (may save time)

I've seen examples of earlier versions than Apache 1.3.29 said to be working
with byte-range requests, has anyone got the byte range requests to work with
openbsd without using php code or know how this can be done or if it works by
default.

The Story

I've had some problems with my web host or rather they have had problems (ssl
key stuck and ssh has been disabled for over a month now???) and so have been
creating an image for a dedicated web server with the default apache 1.3 to
give me more control and security. Everything was going well and I was about
to move onto performance testing and pf optimisation.

I then found that my .ogv video files were causing a connection loop even when
loaded via a direct url. This doesn't happen in firefox 3.1b3 but does in
firefox >3.5 alphas. In firefox 3.1b3 the seeking didn't work but the video
played. The mimetype is being provided by apache. Ogg video also works in
Opera 10.50 beta, probably because it's not fully implemented as per the w3c
recommendations yet as I would guess for firefox 3.1b3.

I've since learned via sniffing, curl and the http headers that byte-range
requests are being ignored (hence no seeking) and the whole file delivered via
a 200 response rather than the portion requested via a 206 response as works
with the same httpd.conf configuration on Linux Apache 1.3. After
investigating if any packets being dropped were the cause due to wireshark
indicating dropped packets (just wireshark I think with looped connections
(1000s of packets in seconds)) and giving the message tcp segment of a
reassembled pdu, I tried running curl on the loopback of the openbsd box and
reviewing the apache config and the source code (a little) and also network
settings but without any luck in getting byte-range requests to work.

It looks like I may have to drop support of native firefox video, something I
have great support for with the security nightmare of flash. I could also try
apache2 which I would rather not as I have read the openbsd apache is heavily
modified and audited and ports well tested and ready to go.

The Question (Again)

I've seen examples of earlier versions than Apache 1.3.29 said to be working
with byte-range requests, has anyone got the byte range requests to work with
openbsd without using php code or know how this can be done or if it works by
default.

Byte-range support can be tested with the following, if you have curl
installed and apache enabled or know of openbsd served websites.

/usr/local/bin/curl --range 3-5
http://www.openbsd1.3server.org/filelargethan5bytes > /dev/null

Output = received 3 bytes

/usr/local/bin/curl --range 5-800
http://www.openbsd1.3server.org/filelargethan800bytes > /dev/null

Output = received 796 bytes

Thanks for any help
KeV
After an exploit in smoothwall and a mountain of Livecd's and pdfs, an install
of netbsd and trustix, I was finally stunned by Openbsd (a real element) and
rarely look back.