On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Nick Holland
<n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
> Tomas Bodzar wrote:
>> Which VMware August bug you mean? This one or different?
>> http://communities.vmware.com/thread/162377?tstart=0&start=0
>
> yep, that's the one.
>
> Short version: VMware accidentally shipped a production release of ESX
> and ESXi (yes, both the expensive and no-charge version) which turned
> off management of the VMs on August 12, 2008 -- a turned on VM could
> stay running, but an off VM could not be started, and their wonderful
> vmotion feature stops working...which would be critical for less
> painful recovery from this problem.  VMware regularly "time bombed"
> their beta versions of the software, and in this case, the time bomb
> slipped out the door.

Hilarious, yet depressing (and telling):

"FAQ for Express Patches

   1.  What do the express patches do?

      There are two express patches:
          *
            For an affected ESX 3.5 Update 2 (build number 103908),
use ESX Update 2 Express Patch (build 110181)
          *
            For an affected ESXi 3.5 Update 2 (build number 103909),
use ESXi Update 2 Express Patch (build number 110180).

            They are specifically targeted for customers who have
installed or fully upgraded to ESX/ESXi 3.5 Update 2 or who have
applied the ESX350-200806201-UG/ESXe350-200807401-I-UG patch to
ESX/ESXi 3.5 or ESX/ESX 3.5 Update 1 hosts. For customers who havent
done either, these express patches should not be applied.

            Note: These patches have been validated to work with both
esxupdate and VMware Update Manager. Maintenance mode is required, but
a reboot of the ESX host is not required with these patches.

            We are currently testing an option to apply the patch
without requiring VMotion or VM power-off and re-power-on at the point
of patch application. To immediately refresh vmx on the VM, one can
VMotion off running VMs, apply the patches and VMotion the VMs back.
If VMotion capability is not available, VMs can be powered off before
the patches are applied and powered back on afterwards."

Did anyone else find an answer to the proposed question?    "1.  What
do the express patches do?"

from the kb article (their follow up) to that issue:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=disp
layKC&externalId=1006716

What a crock of shite. Good to know as I am just getting into a few
small-scale virtualizing projects.. not so sure I am at *all*
surprised.

/end rant.

~Jason