I think you're overthinking this; your bottleneck here is probably going
to be the computation-heavy SSL stuff, not the firewall; and why run
a single-processor kernel and leave 1-or-more procs idle?

Obviously, testing the setups to get real-world numbers, as long
as you're using a real-world workload, is the ultimate arbiter, but
I'd be very surprised if a single-processor machine wins out as
an SSL terminator.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not too sure it really matters;
although, IIRC, amd64 better supports W^X protection, as the i386
implementation is a bit of a workaround for an architecture that
doesn't support it as well as others.

- Bert