From: Common Sense <commonse...@citizensincharge.org>
Date: Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:18 AM
Subject: Reading Comprehension (Paul Jacob applauds Congress for reading and
recognizing the Constitution and hopes the infatuation blossoms)
To: t.ma...@gmail.com

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=lwztkndab&et=1104179445894&s=5959&e=001g5RC-Jjmk-ZYpR3sTaNCmZ9xkjsE97EcyPg123x8dFhIoLrY_IeybwgnO8sm3EmealhVLbLIuj4cPVKKGQnumvN1YxERzqD-agsAcWpy2RHSawbzMDXtiQ==>

January 3, 2011
 Reading Comprehension

Never has the Constitution been read on the floor of the U.S. House of
Representatives. And, boy, does our political situation show it.

When the 112th Congress convenes this week, the law of the land -- the
limited, enumerated powers granted to the federal government by "We the
People" in this 223-year old document -- will for the first time be spoken
aloud for all honorables to hear. It's a quick read, less than 5,000 words,
and presumably cameras will be rolling, so we'll know if any elected
representative sticks finger into ear during the recitation.

A hat-tip to the Tea Party movement, this reading of the Constitution is a
great way to remind our legislators that such a document actually exists.

Even better, a new rule will be proposed requiring every piece of
legislation to have affixed a citation "where in the Constitution Congress
is empowered to enact such legislation."

Sure, Washington pundits have mocked this newborn constitutionalism, crying
"gimmick!" One history professor called it "entirely cosmetic." Tea Party
activists are skeptical, too. As they should be.

Neither reading the Constitution nor declaring the constitutional authority
for legislation amounts to magic. But, with a political process in which
politicians rarely recognize any limits to their wizardry, a requirement
that Congress specifically pay attention to whether its actions are
permitted by the Constitution is, well, really good.

Will it lead to Congress actually abiding by the limits of our Constitution?
It certainly couldn't hurt.

This is Common Sense. I'm Paul Jacob.
 Comment on this
episode<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=lwztkndab&et=1104179445894&s=5959&e=001g5RC-Jjmk-ZOZJWo2OnAd6bhryos_8YBNURqMQjDiCKLBmEl0EvMChv3ioQ_050PDqXYNXWFCHI16VQQUsJHMktcZ-LzYZ8OkRZY0MFYyorovg6yg7TyoABCWLSj5CwhDmNUzsdXubc=>|
View/download
the
PDF<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=lwztkndab&et=1104179445894&s=5959&e=001g5RC-Jjmk-ZXt7IclEj_shdQXnpR31YqujVarLgXcEALjqkInRE4vVbK7z0ps4s8S8c2IDv0sgXEPkcToMsaqTJNcpoohh1NqnopZDNkwhJ44WPh_nGLDLW4tYNsSI33lH0pWWbE1dA=>

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=lwztkndab&et=1104179445894&s=5959&e=001g5RC-Jjmk-aCTKmGO9JpPmqZYZAsjVTcMdl6n_gw84WlT_bvjewPmE8G4tqE4K2mbj4iRTYpkjtYDUwN72mN_pDxaA936xZUhVQobGCjjKpaJD_r5Vb53g==>

Paul Jacob is President of Citizens in Charge and Citizens in Charge
Foundation<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=lwztkndab&et=1104179445894&s=5959&e=001g5RC-Jjmk-byPYxEmz1nFDGKIKCqkaI9vgqZp8JH-Mzv8fNx--2JUDSLRtIet9IgZ84nYnW0eVHAslax7-wMmdr-4x38jcCYDVUcqS1hztiEYcDV5KzyoA==>,
which sponsors both Common
Sense<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=lwztkndab&et=1104179445894&s=5959&e=001g5RC-Jjmk-ZYpR3sTaNCmZ9xkjsE97EcyPg123x8dFhIoLrY_IeybwgnO8sm3EmealhVLbLIuj4cPVKKGQnumvN1YxERzqD-agsAcWpy2RHSawbzMDXtiQ==>and
Paul's weekly Townhall
Column<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=lwztkndab&et=1104179445894&s=5959&e=001g5RC-Jjmk-ZsHrRTzMiellCbyv535pmAcP1FXKhoz5JjuWOHCVlSSLkHy_7OFC3RG5_HHgcof-s_QDSFHS4GMYAhMY5ClPkoQO5-Ea-fffNM_U2DjCe-ZhZmuZ4ilYUSdpTmmrlC3kY=>.
The opinions expressed in Common Sense are Paul Jacob's and do not
necessarily reflect the opinions of Citizens in Charge or Citizens in Charge
Foundation.

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=lwztkndab&et=1104179445894&s=5959&e=001g5RC-Jjmk-byPYxEmz1nFDGKIKCqkaI9vgqZp8JH-Mzv8fNx--2JUDSLRtIet9IgZ84nYnW0eVHAslax7-wMmdr-4x38jcCYDVUcqS1hztiEYcDV5KzyoA==>
[image: Safe
Unsubscribe]<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=0013iptMBHoQduJ8q0WiGkH2g%3D%3D&se=001EejH-8S5zG4%3D&t=001wAoiBnyMeBbnHx0UsDvA9g%3D%3D&l=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&llr=lwztkndab>
This email was sent to t.ma...@gmail.com by commonse...@citizensincharge.org
.
Update Profile/Email
Address<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=0013iptMBHoQduJ8q0WiGkH2g%3D%3D&se=001EejH-8S5zG4%3D&t=001wAoiBnyMeBbnHx0UsDvA9g%3D%3D&l=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&llr=lwztkndab>|
Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribe<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=0013iptMBHoQduJ8q0WiGkH2g%3D%3D&se=001EejH-8S5zG4%3D&t=001wAoiBnyMeBbnHx0UsDvA9g%3D%3D&l=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&llr=lwztkndab>™
| Privacy Policy <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.
 Email Marketing <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=custom01> by
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=custom01>
Citizens in Charge Foundation | 2050 Old Bridge Road | Suite 103 | Lake
Ridge | VA | 22192

--
"no cause is lost if there is but one fool to fight for it"
~Will Turner~

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are
free." ~Goethe

www.moliberty.org

http://417-political-pundit.blogspot.com

The power to tax involves the power to destroy.
~Justice John Marshall~

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics
won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

A legislative act contrary to the Constitution is not law.
~Justice John Marshall~