From: Eric Vought <evou...@gmail.com>
To: missourilibertycoalition@googlegroups.com
Sent: Tue, January 25, 2011 7:54:54 PM
Subject: Re: [MoLiCo] Fw: Tomorrow A.M.

On Jan 25, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Tom Martz wrote:

> http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=sr112-10
>
> After reading senate resolution 10 which I linked above I'm not quite certain
>how it does any of the below listed measures..

Basically, it eliminates a filibuster opportunity by not allowing continuous
debate before a bill can be formally put on the floor ("cloture") for amendment
and vote, It also limits the number of amendments which can be proposed and
resulting debate in order to speed up the process there. The Senate Democrats
also discussed changing the cloture vote from 3-5ths (61) to 50% for the
cloture
vote, but this resolution does not appear to do that (yet?). The 51% the
original poster talked about was the fact that Senate Democrats want to force
this rule change through by fiat of the Vice President (who is "President of
the
Senate")  instead of through the normal rule change process which requires 67
votes.

The Senate is referred to as the place where bills go to die. Many, many bills
make it through the House each year and then rot in the Senate. That was
intentional design. The Senate was intended to be an effective veto by any
voting block of states on the actions of Congress. The majority party always
complains about the "inefficiency" of Senate process, but the fact is that
efficiency is not desirable. We want only a small number of bills, from either
party, to get through each session; the ones which do are bad enough.

So, really, this proposed change is not good no matter who has the majority.

Sincerely,

Eric Vought
"Faith does not absolve us from trying to understand our world and make moral
distinctions with the eyes and brain given us. Religion is as much
responsibility as direction: Duty not Distinction."

--This is a Free Speech forum. The owner of this list assumes no responsibility
for the intellectual or emotional maturity of its members.  If you do not like
what is being said here, filter it to trash, ignore it or leave.  If you leave,
learn how to do this for yourself.  If you do not, you will be here forever.