----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Act for America <actforamer...@donationnet.net>
To: Carl and Linda Herd <linda.h...@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Fri, March 11, 2011 1:45:59 PM
Subject: Inside the King Hearing

Visit our News page

A Report from the Hill: Inside the House Homeland Security Committee Hearing on
the Radicalization of Muslims

by Lisa Piraneo, Director of Government Relations

Would you like to get Lisa Piraneo’s live Tweets from Capitol Hill? Click on
the
following link: @LisaPiraneo

Don’t have a Twitter account yet? Sign up at the link below—it’s free:
www.twitter.com

I arrive at the Cannon House Office Building at 7:30 a.m.—two hours before the
scheduled start of Congressman Peter King’s (R-NY) much-publicized hearing on
Muslim Radicalization in our country. For the past few months Muslim
Brotherhood-affiliated groups like the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) and
Hamas front group CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) have been
whipping the Muslim community and the media into a frenzy about this hearing.
There have been rallies in New York City and front page articles in the
so-called “establishment media” about how “unfair” and even “dangerous” holding
this hearing will be.

So I expect there will be a large crowd waiting to get into the Committee room
and I am right. There is a line from its entrance all the way down the hall,
wrapped around the corner, and half way down the next hall. I park myself in
line and wait.

More people arrive. More press arrive. More police arrive. There have been
threats against Chairman King leading up to the hearing and it is clear they
are
being taken seriously. A police officer confronts several bowtie-wearing
gentlemen in front of me for cutting into line. They see the length of the line
and realize that the odds of them getting into the hearing if they go to the
end
are slim to none. “You need to get to the end of the line, sir.” He says. “See
all of these people behind you? They are waiting too.” There is some tense back
and forth and finally they acquiesce.

The waiting crowd is clearly majority Muslim or Muslim-American. I hear
multiple
discussions about how unfair Representative King is—and lots of strategy about
what to do once the hearing is over. Some waiting in line have signs with them.
One reads “Stop Demonizing Muslims.” Standing directly behind me is Alejandro
Beutel, of the Muslim Public Affairs Council. He gives multiple interviews to
press while waiting in line, telling them that the organization is taking a
“wait and see” approach.

At 9:15 a.m.—an hour and 45 minutes after I arrived and 15 minutes prior to the
hearing’s commencement—an announcement is made that the Committee room will
soon
open. Warnings are given from both the Capitol Police as well as Committee
staff
that outbursts and signs in the hearing room are against House rules and will
not be tolerated. The line starts to move, slowly. They are letting people in
the room a little at a time. I learn that a large section of the small hearing
room is already taken up by press. Not a good sign for me.

I am 10 people away from the doors to the hearing room when an announcement is
made that the Committee room is now full. The choice to the hundreds still in
line: stay there and take the chance that others will leave the hearing,
opening
up additional space; move to a small “overflow room” right next to the
Committee
room; or go home. I opt for the overflow room, as I don’t want to miss one
second of the hearing. In a matter of seconds, the overflow room is filled to
capacity as well, as it is already half full with press when I arrive. I grab
one of the few remaining seats and get ready to Tweet.

Representative King, as the Committee Chair, speaks first, offering his Opening
Remarks. He states that today’s hearing will be the first of a series dealing
with the “critical issue” of the radicalization of Muslim-Americans. He states
“Let me make it clear today I remain convinced that these hearings must go
forward. And they will. To back down would be a craven surrender to political
correctness and an abdication of what I believe to be the main responsibility
of
this committee—to protect America from a terrorist attack.”

The hearing is divided into two panels: The first panel consists of two sitting
Members of Congress: Representative Keith Ellison (D-MN) and Representative
Frank Wolf (R-VA). During Representative Ellison’s remarks, he breaks down and
openly weeps when talking about Mohammad Salman Hamdani, an American Muslim
firefighter who died on 9/11 and notes how his name was smeared. Congressional
drama. I’ve seen it often and it can distract from the issue at hand. A news
report later in the evening notes that no such smears against the firefighter
could be found in a Google search.

Representative Wolf speaks next and comes out swinging, especially at CAIR. He
states “My concern about CAIR is not limited to its disturbing origins and
connections to terrorist financing. I am equally concerned about CAIR’s role in
attacking the reputations of any who dare to raise concerns about domestic
radicalization.”

No questions are posed to either Member of Congress after they make their
statements. Time for Panel Two, which consists of Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, President
of
the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, a medical doctor and former U.S. Navy
Lieutenant Commander; Abdirizak Bihi, whose nephew left the states to join
al-Shabaab in Somalia; Melvin Bledsoe, the father of Carlos Leon Bledsoe (aka)
Abdul Hakim Mujahid Muhammad, a Muslim convert who attacked an Army recruiting
office in Little Rock, Arkansas killing one soldier; and Los Angeles Sheriff
Lee
Baca.

Though I have attended many congressional hearings, I am shocked by the
behavior
of some of these elected officials as they interact with the witnesses. It is
rude and disrespectful—particularly toward Dr. Jasser, who stresses that
terrorism will never be eliminated until the political side of Islam is
removed.
He also notes that there are Muslim groups in the U.S. who are pledging their
allegiance to the Koran instead of to the U.S. Constitution. A vast majority of
the audience in the room clearly disagrees with Dr. Jasser as there is a lot of
eye rolling and snickering when he speaks.

Some examples that I include in my Tweets:

        * Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA) condescendingly states that she doesn’t
think that
the families and Dr. Jasser are “experts” about this issue and that she didn’t
find their information “enlightening,” adding that she is Catholic yet cannot
speak on pedophilia in the priesthood.

        * Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) states that there is no “redeeming
factual
information” at the hearing and that you can’t “clean a dirty kitchen with
dirty
water.” She warns that the Constitution is in “pain” and that the hearing
should
have focused on the civil rights movement. Later, she is gaveled down by
Chairman King, as she disregards him multiple times when he tells her that her
time to speak has expired. More political theater with no benefit to the issue
at hand.

        * Rep. Al Green (D-TX) chastises Rep. King for not holding a hearing on
the
KKK, saying that “we’ve had 100 years of terrorism perpetrated by the KKK on
Jews and African Americans.”

        * Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-NJ), in a stunningly condescending tone to Dr.
Jasser
and Mr. Bledsoe, says that “extreme” is in the “eyes of the beholder.” Also, I
am surprised by the callous responses of the audience all around me—most of
whom
are clearly Muslim-American. Throughout the hearing they laugh at Dr. Jasser
and
Mr. Bihi—also Muslims. I feel that they are not affected by the pain of the
family members at the loss of a child and nephew to radicalization and, in Mr.
Bihi’s case, also to death. Mr. Bledsoe’s testimony ends with “God help us! God
help us!”

The behavior of the Members of Congress who speak down to Dr. Jasser, Mr. Bihi
and Mr. Bledsoe, and the repeated negative reactions these three get from the
crowd of Muslims in the hearing room, is disturbing. Over and over we hear from
government officials and the media that most Muslims are peaceful and
law-abiding, and yet when three brave Muslims come forward to speak out against
the ideology driving Muslim radicalization they are not praised by these four
Members of Congress or most of the Muslims in the crowd—they are belittled.
What
message does that send to Muslim-Americans who are in agreement with Dr.
Jasser?
Stand up and be counted? Hardly.

Fortunately, there are Members of Congress who clearly “get it”—in addition to
Chairman King—and it’s refreshing.

Rep. Chip Cravaack (R-MN) asks Sheriff Baca if he realizes that, when he works
so closely with CAIR, he is working with a terrorist organization (Hamas) and
he
cites the Holy Land Foundation Trial.

Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC) speaks of the political ideology of Islamism. He says
that he is “outraged…outraged!” by this Administration’s failure to define the
enemy. He shows a slide that demonstrates the number of times words like
“enemy,” “jihad,” and “Muslim Brotherhood” are mentioned in the 9/11 Commission
report, and then in comparison how many times they are mentioned in the
government’s security lexicon—zero.

All this from two freshman Members of Congress. What a difference an election
makes! In addition, other Members of Congress such as Reps. Gus Bilirakis
(R-FL), Mike McCaul (R-TX), Paul Broun (R-GA), Mike Rogers (R-AL), Tim Walberg
(R-MI), Patrick Meehan (R-PA) and Candice Miller (R-MI)—all speak eloquently of
the threat of radical Islam to the country and to the Constitution.

After over three and a half hours and lots of furious Tweeting by me, the
hearing comes to an end. In the press conference that Chairman King holds
immediately afterward he announces that the next hearing will be on Muslim
radicalization in the U.S. prison system.

My final Tweet is geared toward preparation for further advancement of the
cause: OK. Rep. King’s 1st hearing on Muslim radicalization is done. Next step:
Write 2 YOUR MOCs 2 voice your concern about the issue. Speak up.

Make sure you receive all of your messages from ACT for America. Add
actforamer...@donationnet.net to your address book as an approved email sender.
If you found this message in your "Bulk" or "Spam" folder, please click the
"Not
Spam" button to notify your provider that these are emails you want to receive.

ACT for America
P.O. Box 12765
Pensacola, FL 32591
www.actforamerica.org

ACT for America is an issues advocacy organization dedicated to effectively
organizing and mobilizing the most powerful grassroots citizen action network
in
America, a grassroots network committed to informed and coordinated civic
action
that will lead to public policies that promote America’s national security and
the defense of American democratic values against the assault of radical Islam.
We are only as strong as our supporters, and your volunteer and financial
support is essential to our success. Thank you for helping us make America
safer
and more secure.

The news items, blogs, educational materials and other information in our
emails
and on our website are only intended to provide information, news and
commentary
on events and issues related to the threat of radical Islam. Much of this
information is based upon media sources, such as the AP wire services,
newspapers, magazines, books, online news blog and news services, and radio and
television, which we deem to be reliable. However, we have undertaken no
independent investigation to verify the accuracy of the information reported by
these media sources. We therefore disclaim all liability for false or
inaccurate
information from these media sources. We also disclaim all liability for the
third-party information that may be accessed through the material referenced in
our emails or posted on our website.

Do not respond to this e-mail for any reason. To discontinue your membership
automatically please, follow the link below. You are registered to receive
email
as Carl and Linda Herd at the following e-mail address:
linda.h...@sbcglobal.net. You must use the correct e-mail address to
discontinue
your membership.