http://frontpagemag.com/2011/04/15/an-anniversary-of-heroism-and-shame%e2%80%94the-bay-of-pigs-at-fifty/

An Anniversary of Heroism and Shame—the Bay of Pigs at Fifty

Posted By Humberto Fontova On April 15, 2011 @ 12:30 am In Daily
Mailer,FrontPage |

“They fought like tigers,” writes the CIA officer who helped train the Cubans
who splashed ashore at the Bay of Pigs 50 years ago this week. “But their fight
was doomed before the first man hit the beach.”

That CIA man, Grayston Lynch, knew something about fighting – and about long
odds. He carried scars from Omaha Beach, the Battle of the Bulge, and Korea’s
Heartbreak Ridge. But in those battles, Lynch and his band of brothers counted
on the support of their commander in chief. At the Bay of Pigs, the American
Grayston Lynch and his Cuban band of brothers learned — first in speechless
shock and finally in burning rage — that their most powerful enemies were not
Castro’s Soviet-armed soldiers massing in nearby Santa Clara, but the Ivy
League’s best and brightest dithering in Washington.

Lynch trained, in his own words, “brave boys who had never before fired a shot
in anger” — college students, farmers, doctors, common laborers, whites,
blacks, mulattoes. They were known as La Brigada 2506, an almost precise
cross-section of Cuban society of the time. The Brigada included men from every
social strata and race in Cuba — from sugar cane planters and cutters, to
aristocrats and their chauffeurs. But mostly, the band was comprised of the
folks in between, as befit a nation with a larger middle class than most of
Europe.

Short on battle experience, yes, but they were bursting with what Bonaparte and
George Patton valued most in soldiers: morale. No navel-gazing about “why they
hate us” or pondering the merits of regime change for them. They’d seen
Castroism point-blank.
Their goals were crystal clear: firing-squads silenced, families reunited, tens
of thousands freed from prisons, torture chambers and concentration camps. We
see such scenes on the History Channel after our GIs took places like Manila
and Munich. In 1961, newsreels could have captured much of the same without
crossing oceans. When those Cuban freedom-fighters hit the beach at the Bay of
Pigs 50 years ago this week, one of every 18 Cubans suffered in Castro’s Gulag.
Mass graves dotted the Cuban countryside, filled with hundreds of victims of
Castro and Che Guevara’s firing squads. Most of the invaders had loved-ones
among the above. Modern history records few soldiers with the burning morale of
the Bay of Pigs freedom-fighters.

>From the lethal fury of the attack and the horrendous casualties that their
>troops and militia were taking, the Castro brothers and Che Guevara believed
>they faced at least “20,000 invading mercenaries,” as they called them. Yet it
>was a band of mostly civilian volunteers who were outnumbered 30-to-1.

“Where are the planes?” was heard crackling over U.S. Navy radios two days
later. “Where is our ammo? Send planes or we can’t last.” Commander Jose San
Roman kept pleading to the very fleet that escorted his men to the beachhead.
Crazed by hunger and thirst, his men had been shooting and reloading without
sleep for three days. Many were hallucinating. By then, many suspected they’d
been abandoned by the Knights of Camelot.

That’s when Castro’s Soviet Howitzers opened up, huge 122 mm weapons, four
batteries’ worth. They pounded 2,000 rounds into the freedom-fighters over a
four-hour period. “It sounded like the end of the world,” one said later.
“Rommel’s crack Afrika Corps broke and ran under a similar bombardment,” wrote
Haynes Johnson in his book, “The Bay of Pigs.” By that time, the invaders were
dazed, delirious with fatigue, thirst and hunger, too deafened by the
bombardment to even hear orders. But these men were in no mood to emulate
Rommel’s crack Afrika Corps by retreating. Instead, they were fortified by a
resolve no conquering troops could ever call upon –the burning duty to free
their nation.
“If things get rough,” the heartsick Grayston Lynch radioed back, “we can come
in and evacuate you.”

“We will not be evacuated.” San Roman roared back to his friend Lynch. “We came
here to fight! We don’t want evacuation. We want more ammo! We want planes!
This ends here!”
Camelot’s criminal idiocy finally brought Adm. Arleigh Burke of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff, who was receiving the battlefield pleas, to the brink of
mutiny. Years before, Adm. Burke sailed thousands of miles to smash his
nation’s enemies at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Now, he was chief of Naval
Operations and stood aghast as new enemies were being given sanctuary 90 miles
away.  The fighting admiral was livid. They say his face was beet red and his
facial veins were popping as he faced down his commander-in-chief that fateful
night of April 18, 1961. “Mr. President, two planes from the Essex.” The Essex
was the U.S. carrier just offshore from the beachhead. “That’s all those Cuban
boys need, Mr. President. Let me order.”

JFK was in white tails and a bow tie that evening, having just emerged from an
elegant social gathering. “Burke,” he replied. “We can’t get involved in this.”
“We put those Cuban boys there, Mr. President!” the fighting admiral exploded.
“By God, we are involved.”

Admiral Burke’s pleas also proved futile.

The freedom-fighters’ spent ammo inevitably forced a retreat. Castro’s jets and
Sea Furies were roaming overhead at will and tens of thousands of his
Soviet-led and armed troops were closing in. The Castro planes now concentrated
on strafing the helpless, ammo-less freedom-fighters.

“Can’t continue,” Lynch’s radio crackled — it was San Roman again. “Have
nothing left to fight with …out of ammo…Russian tanks in view….destroying my
equipment.”
“Tears flooded my eyes,” wrote Grayston Lynch. “For the first time in my 37
years I was ashamed of my country.”

When the smoke cleared and their ammo had been expended to the very last
bullet, when a hundred of them lay dead and hundreds more wounded, after three
days of relentless battle, barely 1,400 of them — without air support from the
U.S. carriers just offshore and without a single supporting shot by naval
artillery — had squared off against 41,000 Castro troops and the dictator’s
entire air force and squadrons of Soviet tanks. The Cuban freedom-fighters
inflicted casualties of 20 to 1 against their Soviet-armed and led enemies.
This is a feat of arms that still amazes professional military men.

“They fought magnificently and were not defeated,” stressed Marine Col. Jack
Hawkins, a multi-decorated WWII and Korean War vet, who helped train them.
“They were abandoned on the beach without the supplies and support promised by
their sponsor, the government of the United States.”

“We shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any
friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of
liberty,” proclaimed Lynch and Hawkin’s commander-in-chief, Kennedy, just three
months earlier.

Humberto Fontova is the author of four books including Exposing the Real Che
Guevara and Fidel: Hollywood’s Favorite Tyrant. Visit hfontova.com

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of
opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of
increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all
its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.” - Harry S.
Truman

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations,
or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and
evidence." - John Adams

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually
come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State
can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences
of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its
powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and
thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one
fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a
few points and repeat them over and over.”
“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play.”

— Paul Joseph Goebbels, Reich Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany from 1933
to 1945

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless
minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by
evil men." - Plato

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." -
Thomas Jefferson

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and may
be protected by legal privilege. The information contained herein is for the
sole use of the intended recipient and any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or reliance on this message or any attachment by unintended recipients is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately by replying to this email and deleting it from your computer.