The most important thing about a political leader is how he or she
treats the concepts of power.  If a person exhibits in their life a
consistent seeking of increased personal power for the purpose of
benefiting themselves or their "friends", then they must be criticized
and opposed.

A person who has a belief system that is different than your own
shouldn't inherently be disqualified from your support.

Just because they say they agree with you on issues that are important
to you shouldn't automatically be a reason to support them either.

This is a nation of religious freedom, and should be a place of freedom
in all things.  If the person eschews personal power, displays moral and
ethical character in their personal and public lives, and respects and
even fights for the freedom of individuals, whether they are different
than them or not, I think everyone would agree that type of person
should be holding elected office.

There may be room to discuss or debate the idea of whether the teachings
of a particular religion or sect are indeed truthful, but I don't think
it's necessary before supporting a political candidate.

There are several people that I consider local political allies that I
don't agree with on core matters of theology.

Jeremy D. Young