I know that RJ has been beating this drum for a while but I wanted to
reinforce the message that everyone should at least try to write a test
at some point.  Learning how to use the testing framework in Mixxx has
been incredibly valuable for getting the bugs and regressions out of the
master sync branch.  It took me a whole day just to figure out how to
set up and tear down the engine backend, but it was worth it.

I strongly encourage everyone to take a look at the src/test directory
and poke around.  There are a bunch of examples there that should give
you an idea of what writing a test is like.  We need more work to
support difficult things like testing playing tracks and UI behavior,
but for backend work there's a lot already there.

Now that I have a basic testing framework for master sync in place,
every time we find a bug I can write a test to exercise it, fix the bug,
and then verify that the test passes.  Then I can run all the other
tests and make sure I didn't break anything else.  It's improved my
iteration speed about a billion times.

I'll be on irc (@ywwg) if anyone wants help learning about testing.

cheers,
Owen