On 12/23/2013 03:39 PM, prabhdeep singh wrote:
I want to start contributing to the open source community, but I do not where to begin.
Your community's cause seems great!
So I would love to start but I am absolutely clueless as to where to begin.
I have a background in C++ and algorithmic operations.
Any help would be appreciated!

I think a good way to start contributing to the project is compiling Mixxx from sources on your machine. There are tutorials on how you can achieve this, depending on your operating
system:
* Linux-based: http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/compiling_on_linux
* Windows: http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/compiling_on_windows
* Mac OS X: http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/compiling_on_os_x

After that, it is useful to set up an IDE for Qt/C++. I use Qt Creator, but Eclipse is just
as good.

* Set up Qt Creator: http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/qtcreator
* Set up Eclipse: http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/eclipse

As soon as you have set up your IDE, you may want to learn a bit about how to use git in order to write a patch for Mixxx (how to fork and clone a repository, how to create a new branch and
how to issue a pull request) --> http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/using_git

Finally, Mixxx is using Launchpad as bug tracker. Make a launchpad account, search for a bug (here is a list of bugs marked as "easy" https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bugs?field.tag=easy). Assign yourself to that bug and start hacking on it. Don't forget to ask for help if you get stuck.
The community is very friendly (I learned that myself :D ).

An overview of the bugfix workflow is here: http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/bugfix_workflow.

Hope this helps!

--
Nicu Badescu