EDIT:

The point of the HASH is not just to verify download integrity. It also
serves as a check that what you've said you published is what got
downloaded. So if I see the hash on the email list and download it from a
torrent or something I can verify that the torrent download matches your
release announcement, and not just that I have a uncorrupted hacked
download or something.

Gavin S