I think part of the issue here is that the XML format is so cumbersome
to type out by hand.
Rather than:
<control>
                <group>[Channel2]</group>
                <key>ElectrixTweaker.forwardButton</key>
                <description>MIDI Learned from 4 messages.</description>
                <status>0x90</status>
                <midino>0x18</midino>
                <options>
                    <script-binding/>
                </options>
            </control>
it would be nice if the child elements of <control> were attributes
instead. For example:
<control status='0x90' midino='0x18' group='[Channel2]'
key='ElectrixTweaker.forwardButton' description='MIDI Learned from 4
messages.' options='script-binding'/>
or
<control status='0x90' midino='0x18' group='[Channel2]'
description='MIDI Learned from 4 messages.'
options='script-binding'>ElectrixTweaker.forwardButton</control>

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y