The main benefit in switching to wix is to support clean upgrade pathes
between versions the same way they are handled by deb packages or macOS
packages.
Actually, If you install 1.12 on windows and have 1.11 already
installed, this leads to 1.12 installed on top of 1.11 with the
following caveats:
- Old 1.11 and new 1.12 skins present in the skins folder
- 2 entries in settings pannel -> software uninstall (for 1.11 and
1.12), but both entries will uninstall mixxx and keep the other entry
orpheline.
- Files manually added to Mixxx installation folder being deleted on
uninstall even if not installed by Mixxx's installer (except for
controller mappings)

The other benefit is to support autorepair functionnality of windows
installer framework.

regards,

--

Sébastien Blaisot

Le 02/09/2015 08:43, Tuukka Pasanen a écrit :

> [...]
> However, we should encourage the user to use 64 bit binaries, since
> there should be a performance gain. It supports atomic access to the
> control objects and has core SSE instructions.
>
> 4. Can we get rid of windows XP Support ? Is there a strong technical need to
> drop XP support?
> Win XP is still the second often used desktop operating system after Win 7.
> It is common to use recycled laptops for parties where a beer shower may
> happen.
> https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
>  [2]
> Lets keep it!
>
> 5. actual installer creates empty directories "promo" and "sqldrivers". Are
> they still required or just oldies that we can forget?
>
> They outdated and can be removed.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Daniel
>
> Am 01.09.2015 um 23:05 schrieb Sébastien Blaisot: Hi All,
>
> I'm in an effort to port Mixxx's windows installer to Wix.
> I really have hard times because windows installer framework is...
> well... you know.
>
> I primarily focused on the reproduction of the existing operation, with
> some gain in this migration (working upgrades primarily).
>
> I am now able to build 32 and 64 bits MSI for Mixxx manually and
> installing it to my computer leads to a working Mixxx \o/.
>
> My work is shown here : https://github.com/sblaisot/mixxx/tree/wix-installer
> [3]
> All changes has been made under build/wix
>
> What's left on my TODO list :
> - include VCredist in the package (seems possible to use VCredist merge
> modules if we have visual studio installed on the build server)
> - Add QT's translations that I left appart from the installer now
> because it's not possible to include a subset of the files in a source
> directory
> - Integrate with SCons
> - test, test and test again
>
> I have a few questions to achieve this goal :
>
> 1. Can someone with an access to the build server show me what's in
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Merge Modules ?
>
> 2. When we will have Wix installed on the build server, is it acceptable
> to add the Wix installation directory to the %PATH% of the build server
> and rely on it ? I didn't find a way to automatically determine where
> this folder is located like we actually do in scons for NSIS.
>
> 3. Installation of 64bits package on 32bits machines is of course
> forbidden. I'm not sure if we need to permit 32bits mixxx installation
> on 64bits computer. Is anyone aware of such a use-case ?
>
> I really appreciate all comments about this.
>
> regards,
>
> sb

> Monitor Your Dynamic Infrastructure at Any Scale With Datadog!
> Get real-time metrics from all of your servers, apps and tools
> in one place.
> SourceForge users - Click here to start your Free Trial of Datadog now!

in one place.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=241902991&iu=/4140 [6]

Links:
------