Le 08/07/2017 à 03:00, Harry van Haaren a écrit :
On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Sébastien Blaisot <mi...@blaisot.org <mailto:mi...@blaisot.org>> wrote:

    Mixxx is a cross-platform application (Linux, MacOS, Windows).

    Is ctrla also a cross-platform library ?

Currently nope, it is a WIP library developed and tested on Linux only. The APIs are not OS-specific in any way, and the libraries (currently) in use all claim to be cross-platform. That means *in theory*, Ctlra is cross-platform too, but actually compiling/testing/etc is
required (and as you probably know, that's a huge amount of work :)

ok, so is could be "theorically" possible to have ctrla croos-platform some time in the future ;)

    If this is not the case, it is a show stopper IMHO.

I understand that for Mixxx it would be ideal if Ctlra supported all targets - totally understand. As you're aware x-platform development requires significant time, testing, and access to the platforms themselves. I do not have access to large quantities of time, or OsX/Win platforms.
no problem, htat's where the community is helpful : divide time required and access to hardware into smaller chunks

I'll ask a few questions, just to get understand your point-of-view that this could be a show stopper. How much of the blueprint / wiki / youtube-video / etc are you familiar with? I'd like to avoid sweeping the Ctlra idea off the table just because its not currently cross platform - even if it is only a POC on how to implement hotplug/HD screens, isn't that a valuable contribution to Mixxx?

Well, when talking about show stopper, I meant that we should not release a version of Mixxx with a different user experience on the different platforms and that we should try to have a similar experience on all platform the most that we can.
This is my opinion (only mine, I won't talk for others).

My intent is not to discourage you from integrating Ctrla to Mixxx. Each feature of Mixxx has started as a POC and has been polished before reaching the application and being shipped in a release.
It's more like a goal to achieve ;)

Sorry if my message sounded a bit rude, this was not my intent. I find the idea really interresting. We can start on linux only to prove the working of the concept, but I think we should resolve the cross-platform thing before shipping a version of Mixxx with ctrla.

Thanks for your input - of course when suggesting a new method/library to do things, there will be "bumpy" parts that need to be worked through, and I appreciate your highlighting that in this case cross-platform support is likely going to be one of those bumpy parts!

that's the point :)

regards,

sb