After experimenting with MethodHandles.collectArguments (given a
hand-written collector function) versus my own logic (using folds and
permutes to call my collector), I can confirm that both are roughly
equivalent and better than MethodHandle.asCollector.

The benchmark linked below calls a lightweight core Ruby method
(Array#dig) that only accepts an IRubyObject[] (so all arities must
box). The performance of collectArguments is substantially better than
asCollector.

https://gist.github.com/headius/28343b8c393e76c717314af57089848d

I do not believe this should be so. The logic for asCollector should
be able to gather up Object subtypes into an Object[] subtype without
an intermediate array or extra copying.