Hello all,

The attached link is a little "businessy", but the basic core of it
seems to match a couple of other things.  I have heard that something
over one trillion SMS messages were sent in 2005.  Thus, 2 trillion in
2008 does not seem unreasonable as mobiles diffuse to new areas.  If you
divide this by about 3 billion subscriptions, you get something like 2
text messages per subscription per day.

The other interesting point is that mobile use often cooks down to
communication (in the inter-personal sense of the word.)  The authors
write:

This supports our claim that of the various new telecoms technologies
and innovations over the last few decades, there can only be one
conclusion drawn - the most popular services are usually
communications-based - not entertainment, not information, but
communications.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&news
Id=20080228005080&newsLang=en

Rich L.