In the UK many like to be ex-directory on their fixed phones but it seems that
for mobile phones keeping control of who has our mobile phone number is even
more important - see the story via the BBC link below.  I recall that having a
directory of mobile phone numbers was a licence condition for some GSM network
operators but I am not certain it was ever implemented.  It would be
interesting to know if the same emotional response to having your mobile phone
number published in a directory has happened elsewhere -t see the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/07/118800_and_a_web_revolution.html

extract from email being forwarded all around the UK:

"Maybe you have heard about this but early next week all UK mobiles will be on
a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers. It
is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to
make sure that you are ex directory. We have all unsubscribed and you may want
to suggest it to all your friends and family who have UK mobiles or they could
be swamped by unsolicited messages and calls. Removal is recommended by the BBC
- see link below.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/8091621.stm

The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week"

Jane Vincent
DWRC
University of Surrey
www.dwrc.surrey.ac.uk