Dear all,

Please note the following call for papers

Rich L.

2012 International Communication Association (ICA) Pre-conference Workshop

May 23 – 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mobile and location-based networked interactions permeate our world. We no
longer enter the Internet--we carry it with us. We experience it while moving
through physical spaces. Smart phones, GPS receivers, and RFID tags are only a
few examples of location-aware mobile technologies that mediate our interaction
with networked spaces and the people in them. Increasingly, our physical
location determines the types of information with which we interact, and the
people and things we find around us. These new kinds of networked interactions
manifest in everyday social practices that are supported by the use of mobile
technologies, such as participation in location-based mobile games and social
networks, engagement with location-based services, development of mobile
annotation projects, and social mapping, just to name a few. The engagement
with these practices has important implications for identity construction, our
sense of privacy, our notions of place and space, civic and political
participation, building community, policy making, as well as cultural
production and consumption in everyday life.

Abstracts of no more than 500 words are due by November 15, 2011. Please send
them along with your name and contact information to Dr. Adriana de Souza e
Silva (adriana [at] souzaesilva [dot] com<mailto:adri...@souzaesilva.com>).
Accepted abstracts will be notified by December 1, 2011. Final papers will be
due April 1, 2012.

http://sociomobile.org/mobile2012/