do you mean a fastcgi application example or a fastcgi apache
configuration example ?

You have the latter on the link I sent,
for the former: http://www.fastcgi.com/devkit/

I'm sure there is some "hello world" examples hanging around in this
repository.

Basically, the FastCGI API replace your standard I/O functions to
connect the FastCGI pipes. Once you have done all your init stuff you
only have to make a loop to accept fastcgi connections, using your
standard functions (while(FCGI_Accept() >= 0) or something like that).
This is for the C API of course. If you are using high level languages
(Sun => Java ?), I think there is a Complete Java API to make your
applications FastCGI compatible.

See the docs at http://www.fastcgi.com/ . There is plenty of them, about
the SDK, the existing APIs, and even how to develop your own (the
complete spec).

mod_fcgid can use any application developed according to the spec (as
long as the app is designed to use local sockets, and NOT only TCP sockets).

Gabriel