ver. 1.18 of mod_perl Guide is online.

Read it at http://perl.apache.org/guide/

=> Lots of new stuff, please review.

=> Notice a complete rewrite of install and debug sections.

CHANGES:

* An almost complete rewrite of debug.pod:

(Integrated Doug's debugging article at perlmonth.com)

  Curing The "Internal Server Error"
  Helping error_log to Help Us
  The Importance of Warnings
      diagnostics pragma
  Monitoring the error_log file
  Hanging processes: Detection and Diagnostics
      An Example of the Code that Might Hang the Process
      Detecting hanging processes
      Determination of the reason
  Handling the 'User pressed Stop button' case
      Detecting Aborted Connections
      The Importance of Cleanup Code
           Critical Section
           Safe Resource Locking
           Cleanup Code
  Handling the server timeout cases and working with $SIG{ALRM}
  Watching the server
      Configuration
      Usage
      Compiled Registry Scripts section seems to be empty.
  Sometimes script works, sometimes does not
  Code Debug
      Locating and correcting Syntax Errors
      Using Apache::FakeRequest to Debug Apache Perl Modules
      Finding the Line Number the Error/Warning has been Triggered at
      Using print() Function for Debugging
      The Importance of Good Coding Style and Conciseness
      Introduction into Perl Debugger
      Interactive Perl Debugging under mod_cgi
      Non-Interactive Perl Debugging under mod_perl
      Interactive Perl Debugging under mod_perl
      Interactive Perl Debugging under mod_perl and ptkdb
      Debugging core Dumping Code
  Apache::Debug
  Debugging Core Dumps
  Debug Tracing
  gdb says there are no debugging symbols
  Debugging Signal Handlers ($SIG{FOO})
  Code Profiling
  Devel::Peek
  How can I find if my mod_perl scripts have memory leaks
  Debugging your code in Single Server Mode

* A complete rewrite of install.pod:

(Integrated the INSTALL.* docs from the mod_perl distribution)

  Installing mod_perl in 10 Minutes and 10 Command Lines
  The Gory Details
      Sources Configuration (perl Makefile.PL ...)
           Configuration parameters
               APACHE_SRC
               DO_HTTPD, NO_HTTPD, PREP_HTTPD
               Callback Hooks
               EVERYTHING
               PERL_TRACE
               APACHE_HEADER_INSTALL
               PERL_STATIC_EXTS
               PERL_MARK_WHERE
               APACHE_PREFIX
               APACI_ARGS
           Reusing Configuration Parameters
           Discovering whether some option was configured
           Using an alternative Configuration file
      mod_perl Building (make)
           make Troubleshooting
               undefined reference to 'Perl_newAV'
      Built Server Testing (make test)
           Manual Testing
           make test Troubleshooting
               make test fails
               mod_perl.c is incompatible with this version of apache
               make test......skipping test on this platform
      Installation (make install)
      Building Apache and mod_perl by Hand
  Installation Scenarios for Standalone mod_perl
      The All-In-One Way
      The Flexible Way
      Build mod_perl as DSO inside Apache source tree via APACI
      Build mod_perl as DSO outside Apache source tree via APXS
  Installation Scenarios for mod_perl and Other Components
      mod_perl and mod_ssl (+openssl)
      mod_perl and mod_ssl Rolled from RPMs
      mod_perl and apache-ssl (+openssl)
      mod_perl and Stronghold
           Note For Solaris 2.5 users
  mod_perl Installation with CPAN.pm's Interactive Shell
  Installing on multiple machines
  using RPM, DEB and other packages to install mod_perl
      A word on mod_perl RPM packages
      Getting Started
      Compiling RPM source files
      Mix and Match RPM and source
      Installing a single apache+mod_perl RPM
      Compiling libapreq (Apache::Request) with the RH 6.0 mod_perl RPM
      Installing separate Apache and mod_perl RPMs
      Testing the mod_perl API
  Installation Without Superuser Privileges
      Installing Perl Modules into a Directory of Choice
      Making Your Scripts Find the Locally Installed Modules
      CPAN.pm Shell and Locally Installed Modules
      Making a Local Apache Installation
      Actual Local mod_perl Enabled Apache Installation
      Local mod_perl Enabled Apache Installation with CPAN.pm
  Automating installation
  How can I tell whether mod_perl is running
      Testing by checking the error_log file
      Testing by viewing /perl-status
      Testing via telnet
      Testing via a CGI script
      Testing via lwp-request
  General Notes
      Should I rebuild mod_perl if I have upgraded my perl?
      Perl installation requirements
      mod_auth_dbm nuances
      Stripping apache to make it almost perl-server
      Saving the config.status Files with mod_perl, php, ssl and Other
Components
      Should I Build mod_perl with gcc or cc?
  OS Related Notes

* databases: added "Debugging code which deploys DBI"

* porting: added "STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR streams"

* advocacy: added "A summary of perl/cgi discussion at slashdot.org"

* snippets: added "Terminating a child process on Request Completion"
  (Doug)

* troubleshooting": added "Apache.pm failed to load!" (Doug)

* snippets: added "Reading POST Data, then Redirecting" (Doug)

* snippets: added "Cache control for regular and error modes" (Cliff
  Rayman)

* performance: added "Be carefull with symbolic links" (the same
  script compiled twice)

* install: new "apache/mod_perl/mod_ssl Rolled from RPMs Scenario"
  (Stephane Benoit)

* porting: 'use subs (exit)' typo fixed (Chris Nokleberg)

* warnings.pod was renamed to troubleshooting.pod and now it's
  categorized by the following sections:
        Building and Installation
        Configuration and Startup
        Code Parsing and Compilation
        Runtime
        Shutdown and Restart

* porting: the following sections were moved to debug.pod:
  "Finding the Line Number the Error/Warning has been Triggered at",
  "Turning warnings ON",
  "diagnostics pragma"

* porting: rewritten "Comman line Switches (-w, -T, etc)"

* performance: "Forking or Executing subprocesses from mod_perl"
  updated with another CHLD sighandler using WNOHANG to reap zombie
  processes (Lincoln Stein)

* install: updated "Testing via a CGI script" (Geoffrey S Young)

* porting: updated "Terminating requests and processes, exit()
  function" with info about post_request termination,
  Apache::SizeLimit and Apache::GTopLimit

* perlformance: links from
 http://www.realtime.net/~parkerm/perl/conf98/index.htm
 and http://www.realtime.net/~parkerm/perl/conf98/sld006.htm
 were dead (I removed them :( (Peter Skov)

* snippets: added "Caching the POSTed Data" (Doug)

* install: "Compiling libapreq with mod_perl RPM" reviewed and
  corrected (Geoffrey S Young)

* status.pod has been eliminated and absorbed by debug.pod where it
  belong

* Fixed pod translator. Now it handles correctly C<$r-E<gt>method>
  encodings. (Andreas Koenig)

Enjoy!

Stas Bekman  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    www.singlesheaven.com/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC at  www.singlesheaven.com/stas/TULARC