I'm using Red HAT rpms plus mod_perl built on top of that.  Your theory
about different compiler versions may be on the mark.

Using the rpms was a real convenience, but maybe I'm paying for it a bit now.

I have similar issues with MySQL - I installed using an rpm, but now
upgrading to a new release is challenging.

The toughest part is matching up where things go.  This must be a common
struggle for Linux admins:  RedHat vs. tarball installs.

I don't even have apachectl, which bothers me...

Anyway, getting fresh tarball bits and compiling it all from scratch, with
my favorite optimizer settings and such seems like the next thing to try.

Thanks for the help.  I'll report back when/if I resolve this issue.

-bill